Fantastic Fest

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Meet 2009 Fantastic Fest Poster Artist: Jon Vermilyea!

vermilyea space monster

Earlier this week, festival founder, Tim League asked me if I could recommend an artist for this year's Fantastic Fest poster. I sent him a list of about a dozen artists that I thought would do a good poster, but in my mind there was only one that could DESTROY this year's poster. Say hello to the 2009 Fantastic Fest poster artist: Jon Vermilyea.

Jon's work has been featured in Vice Magazine, Fantagraphics BEASTS 2 and most recently in the new Animal Collective video for My Girls among other things. The first couple of times I talked to Jon, I tried to play it cool. I really, reaallllly tried to be professional and not get all weird about talking to my favorite artist on the planet, but those conversations quickly degenerated to me saying how badass he was. Honestly, how could I not have?! Look at his site for Christ's sake. There is an animated, flying piece of pizza melting on the homepage! Arggggghhhhhhhh! Can you imagine how good the poster is going to be this year? I haven't even got to the part where I say that it's going to be in 3D. Well, here goes. This year, the Fantastic Fest poster WILL BE IN 3D! That's right...3-Dimensions of Jon Vermilyea Monsters!

I don't know about all you other Fantastic Fest warriors, but I cannot wait to see what he comes up with. The poster is still a ways off from completion, but if you like Jon's stuff (you better) Mondo is going to be doing several shirts with him in the very near future. As soon as updates are available, you better believe they'll be posted here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home